The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco recognizes Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Title III regulations, which state that for people with disabilities, OPMDs are allowed inside our museums. Examples of such devices are powered wheelchairs, Segways, electric skateboards / scooters, and any mobility device that is not a wheelchair. Both the de Young and Legion of Honor museums are fully wheelchair accessible, welcoming both manual mobility devices and OPMDs.
If you are a person with a disability using an OPMD, it is highly recommended that you:
- Make advance reservations to ensure that your visit is as seamless and enjoyable as possible. Please contact our Access office at email@example.com at least two weeks in advance of your visit. Staff can recommend visitation on days when there tends to be less pedestrian traffic.
- Have a blue ADA placard affixed to the front of the transportation device.
The recreational use of OPMDs is strictly prohibited in the museums. Additionally, tourist rental Segways are not allowed in our museums.
Staff may ask a visitor using an OPMD to provide documentation that the mobility device is required because of a disability, such as a:
- valid, state-issued blue ADA placard or card
- Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits letter
- disabled transit pass
- physician letter
- Medicaid or Medicare card
Staff may also monitor, to the extent practical, the safe and responsible operation of OPMDs. Staff reserve the right to prohibit the use of OPMDs during certain times and events with high attendance or restrict its use in certain (tight) areas.
OPMD users must remain in control of their device; operate at the lowest speed (turtle mode), consistent with walking pace; yield to children, seniors, and other walking patrons; exercise caution when turning corners and entering and exiting exhibition areas; and obey all reasonable safety instructions given by staff.
Subject to the specific device's dimensions, users may need to dismount and walk through certain thresholds and when entering and exiting elevators.
Segways must be equipped with handlebar bags, in which the user can place their wallet and phones. Bags or backpacks should be left at coat check.
All people with disabilities who are OPMD users must:
- Be at least 14 years old and accompanied by a guardian if under the age of 18.
- Wear a helmet that meets Segway, bike, and skate standards.
- Wear flat, close–toed, close-heeled shoes and non-billowy clothes.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you and enjoy your visit!