The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco Announce Updates to Exhibition and Events Program
Ian Cheng, Installation view of BOB (Bag of Beliefs); Nickolas Muray, Frida with Olmeca Figurine, Coyoacán, 1939; Judy Chicago, Immolation, from the series Women and Smoke, 1972.
The health and safety of our visitors and staff members remains a top priority for the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco (the “Museums”). Adhering to the shelter-in-place order in effect in the San Francisco Bay Area, the de Young and Legion of Honor museums are currently closed to the public, and the Museums announce adjustments to our exhibition and events schedules as follows:
- New: The de Young Open, an open-invitation exhibition on the occasion of the de Young’s 125th anniversary will show works by Bay Area artists in celebration and support of the local arts community. The exhibition will be featured in the Herbst special exhibition galleries at the de Young in summer 2020. Further information on submission rules and guidelines can be found at deyoung.famsf.org/exhibitions/de-young-open.
- Premiere: Frida Kahlo: Appearances Can Be Deceiving is fully installed and will premiere as soon as the de Young museum reopens to the public.
- Reopening: Uncanny Valley: Being Human in the Age of AI will be back on view to visitors as soon as the de Young reopens to the public.
- Postponement: Last Supper in Pompeii: From the Table to the Grave will open at the Legion of Honor in fall 2020. We will share more info, including opening and closing dates for this exhibition, as soon as we are able.
- Postponement: Judy Chicago: A Retrospective has been postponed to summer 2021. We will share more info, including opening and closing dates for this exhibition, as soon as we are able.
- Cancellation: Bouquets to Art, the de Young’s annual floral fundraiser, scheduled for June 2–7 2020, has been canceled. In lieu of an exhibition, please look to our social media channels for virtual BTA events. We will resume this celebration of Bay Area floral designer talent in 2021.
- Cancellation: Public programming at the de Young and Legion of Honor will be cancelled until further notice.
As news around COVID-19 changes daily, we will share more info on the reopening of the Museums, and our exhibitions, as it is confirmed. Up-to-date information is always available at famsf.org/coronavirus-response and on this web page, (located in the Museums press room).
Though our buildings remain closed, we continue to share our collections and exhibitions digitally at deyoungmuseum.org/museum-from-home and legionofhonor.org/museum-from-home. Visitors are also welcome to roam our galleries virtually with Google Arts & Culture or view behind-the-scenes material regarding our exhibitions and collections on our YouTube channel, blog, Facebook, and Instagram. Families can support curiosity and discovery of art at home with these exclusive museum activities, focusing on essential skills such as observation, wonder, analysis, and reflection.
As we continue to create and make new digital content available, please look to these channels as well as announcements via our email newsletters.
We look forward to welcoming audiences back to the de Young and Legion of Honor museums soon.