La Maternité

Joan Miró (1893–1983)
La Maternité, 1973
Museum purchase, gift of Bernard and Barbro Osher

Although Miró never formally joined the European Surrealists, like that group of artists he drew inspiration from the spatial innovations of Cubism, the Dada movement’s embrace of the irrational, and the psychological theories of Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung regarding unconscious thought and collective archetypes.


Winged Woman Walking IV

Stephen De Staebler (1933–2011)
Winged Woman Walking VI, 1990
Gift of Morgan Flagg in memory of his mother, Mabel Flagg

Artist Stephen De Staebler once wrote:

“How often would we rather have
Wings than have arms
To fly, float, to soar, is
To be.
To have arms is only to do.”[1]


Two Piece Reclining Figure No. 9

Henry Moore (1898-1986)
Two Piece Reclining Figure No. 9, 1968
Cast bronze
Gift of George Quist and Robin Quist Gates

Henry Moore, best known for his carved marble and cast bronze abstractions of the human figure, was born in Castleford, West Yorkshire, England, and studied at the Leeds School of Art and the Royal College of Art in London. A profoundly humanist sculptor, Moore helped to sustain the human figure as a significant subject while working in an increasingly industrial and technological age.



Subscribe to deYoung